Monday, October 03, 2005

Seared Tuna with Pommes Dauphinoise

And not a chilli in sight. I saw Rick Stein make this (the potatoes) on TV a few days ago. It's not the healthiest way of eating potatoes, and I remember disliking the dish as a child, but I've changed my mind on that.

Peel the potatoes and slice quite thin. Grease a casserole dish with butter then crush some garlic and smear onto the base of the dish. Add a single layer of potatoes then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat this until all the potato slices are used up. Mix 100ml of double cream with 100ml milk and pour over the potatoes. The liquid should not cover the potatoes, but should come close to doing so. If necessary add more milk. Bake at 170C for an hour or so, then sear your tuna on a hot griddle.

K away in Japan until the end of the week, and I'm too lazy to cook anything interesting for myself, so I'll post nothing more until Saturday.

No comments: